As we age, one of our most common concerns is sagging or loose skin on our faces. Fortunately, several facial skin tightening procedures are available to help restore a youthful appearance. Whether you are looking for a non-invasive option that requires no downtime or more aggressive treatments to help reverse the signs of aging, you have a few options to consider.
Why Does Our Skin Sag?
- Aging. As we age, our skin naturally undergoes loss of collagen and elastin. These two proteins are responsible for maintaining firmness and elasticity. With a decline in collagen and elastin production, the skin becomes less resilient and prone to sagging. The gradual breakdown of these proteins also leads to wrinkles, fine lines, and a loss of overall skin tone.
- Sun damage due to exposure. Excessive exposure to the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays can accelerate skin aging and contribute to sagging. Prolonged sun exposure damages the collagen and elastin fibers in the skin, causing them to break down more rapidly. This results in a loss of skin elasticity and the development of sagging skin, particularly in areas exposed to the sun, such as the face, neck, and hands.
- Loss of fat and volume. Our skin also experiences a natural loss of fat and volume as we get older. This loss of underlying support structure can lead to the appearance of sagging skin. Areas commonly show this effect include the cheeks, under-eye area, and jawline. Reducing fat and volume can make the skin appear thinner, less plump, and more prone to sagging.
- Gravity. Gravity constantly pulls down on our bodies, gradually causing the skin to lose its ability to resist the downward force. Over time, this downward pull contributes to facial skin sagging, especially in jowls, neck, and eyelids. We often notice the effects of gravity on the skin as we age, as it becomes more challenging for the skin’s supportive structures to counteract its effects.
- Lifestyle factors. Unhealthy lifestyle habits, such as smoking, poor nutrition, and inadequate skincare routines, can also contribute to sagging skin. Smoking damages collagen and elastin fibers, leading to accelerated skin aging and increased sagging. A diet lacking essential nutrients like vitamins C and E can compromise collagen and elastin production, making the skin more susceptible to sagging. Additionally, neglecting proper skincare, such as not moisturizing or protecting the skin from the sun, can contribute to the breakdown of supportive structures.
Best Non-Surgical Skin Tightening Procedures for Face
Here are some of the best face skin tightening treatments without surgery that you can consider:
Microneedling or collagen induction therapy is a cosmetic procedure that involves pricking the skin with tiny sterilized needles. The small wounds caused by the needles prompt the body to produce more collagen and elastin, which heal the skin and help reduce the appearance of scars and wrinkles.
Two example devices include:
The device uses stable and reliable radiofrequency technology to stimulate the body’s natural healing processes and promote collagen production, improving skin tone and texture. The unique aspect of Agnes RF is its ability to target specific areas due to its micro-insulated needles precisely. This allows for treating various skin issues, including loose and sagging skin, without damaging the surrounding tissue. Agnes RF penetrates deeper into the skin than it’s other RF Microneedling counterparts, allowing for more dramatic results.
- Addresses common issues, including sagging skin and wrinkles
- Safe for all skin types
- Short treatment sessions (typically 20 to 90 minutes)
Scarlet SRF (Short-Pulse Radiofrequency)
Scarlet SRF is an innovative skin treatment that combines the technologies of microneedling and radiofrequency (RF). It’s designed to increase your skin’s density, improve firmness, and reduce signs of aging.
During a Scarlet SRF treatment, ultra-thin, non-insulated needles deliver RF energy into targeted areas of the skin. This process creates electrocoagulation, which triggers your body’s natural healing response and stimulates collagen production.
- Addresses common skin concerns
- Appropriate for all skin types
- Patented technology
2. Radiofrequency (RF) Skin Tightening
Radiofrequency (RF) skin tightening is a non-surgical cosmetic treatment that uses controlled radiofrequency energy to tighten facial skin. During the treatment, RF energy is delivered to the deep layers of the skin, stimulating collagen production and promoting tissue remodeling. The heat causes collagen fibers to contract, resulting in immediate skin tightening while also triggering the production of collagen over time.
This gradual collagen regeneration improves skin elasticity and firmness, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and sagging. RF skin tightening is a versatile treatment used on various face and body areas, providing noticeable rejuvenation and lifting effects.
- Stimulates collagen production
- Short recovery time
3. Laser Treatment
Laser skin tightening is a popular treatment that uses concentrated beams of light to rejuvenate your skin and promote skin tightening.
During this type of treatment, a handheld device is used to deliver the laser energy to the targeted areas of the skin. The laser works by removing the outer layers of skin, stimulating collagen growth, and promoting new, healthier skin cells.
One example is the NeoGen PSR, which converts nitrogen gas into plasma energy, penetrating the dermis’s superficial and deeper layers, stimulating collagen and elastin production and creating a lifted, rejuvenated appearance.
- Precision and customization
- Promotes collagen production
- Long-lasting results
4. MyEllevate Skin Tightening
MyEllevate is a minimally invasive procedure used for skin tightening, particularly around the jawline and neck. It utilizes a patented light-guided suture system that allows professionals to elevate tissue and muscle without surgery. Instead of cosmetic surgeons making incisions, the treatment lifts and tightens saggy tissue.
The procedure works by placing sutures that shape and elevate the soft tissue in the jaw and neck. When combined with procedures like liposuction or FaceTite treatments, MyEllevate can provide a more youthful look by tightening the neck bands and muscles.
- Minimally invasive
- Can be combined with other procedures like fat removal treatments
- Customized treatment
- You can go back to normal activities almost immediately after the procedure
- Noticeable results in a single treatment session
5. Cosmetic Injectables
Cosmetic injectables involve injecting substances into the skin to improve its appearance. These treatments can address various skin concerns, including wrinkles, fine lines, and volume loss. While they don’t technically “tighten” skin, they can give the appearance of tighter, more youthful skin by filling in lines and wrinkles or adding volume to sagging areas.
Here are a few examples:
These are gel-like substances injected into the skin to restore lost volume, smooth lines, soften creases, or enhance facial contours. They can add volume to areas like the cheeks, lips, and around the mouth. While dermal fillers can provide a lift effect, they might not fundamentally tighten saggy skin.
- Restylane by Galderma. This is a range of hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the skin that helps add volume and hydration. It’s a popular ingredient in many skincare products due to its ability to retain large amounts of water and to ‘plump up’ the skin. The Restylane product line is designed to act like your body’s own naturally produced hyaluronic acid. They are injectable gels for smoothing away wrinkles and fine lines, enhancing facial contours, creating fuller lips, and improving the appearance of scars.
- Bellafill Cosmetics. It is a dermal filler that’s FDA-approved to smooth smile lines for up to five years and treat acne scars for one year. It increases collagen levels to help maintain a youthful appearance for up to 5 years. It blends two distinct components: collagen and polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) microspheres. The collagen provides immediate volume below facial wrinkles, known as smile lines, to lift them to the level of the surrounding skin. As the collagen gets absorbed by the body, it stimulates the body’s own collagen production around the PMMA microspheres, which helps maintain the volumizing effect over time.
- Sculptra. This is a type of dermal filler that stimulates your skin’s own collagen production to increase facial volume. While it’s not a primary skin-tightening treatment, some patients may notice a degree of firming.
This neurotoxin blocks nerve signals in the muscles where it is injected to reduce muscle activity. This leads to a reduction in the appearance of lines and wrinkles caused by facial expressions.
An example is Dysport by Galderma, which is a prescription injection for temporary improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows, also known as glabellar lines. It’s a highly purified botulinum toxin type A that relaxes over-contracted muscles.
While neurotoxins don’t technically tighten the skin, they relax the muscles beneath the skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. This may give the perception of tighter or firmer skin, but it’s not the same as actual skin tightening procedures that stimulate collagen production to physically tighten the skin.
A HydraFacial is a patented skincare treatment that involves a three-part regimen: cleansing, exfoliating, and infusing the skin with intensive serums. It’s often compared to microdermabrasion, but it’s generally gentler on the skin as it uses a medical-grade hydradermabrasion device instead of sanding methods.
The HydraFacial device uses a unique spiral suction tip that dislodges impurities and delivers the serum deep into the pores by opening them up during treatment.
The treatment starts with cleansing and peeling to uncover a new layer of skin, followed by extraction and hydration to remove debris from the pores and nourish the skin. Finally, the skin is saturated with antioxidants and peptides to maximize glow.
- Suitable for all skin types
- Immediate results
- Deep cleaning
Why Choose Non-Surgical Facial Tightening Treatment?
- Less invasive. Non-surgical treatments don’t involve incisions or general anesthesia, reducing the risk of complications.
- Less downtime. Non-surgical procedures typically require less recovery time, allowing patients to return to their normal activities sooner.
- Cost-effective. Non-surgical skin tightening treatments are usually less expensive than surgical alternatives.
- Lower risk of side effects. Non-surgical procedures generally carry fewer risks and side effects, such as scarring, infection, or significant discomfort.
- Natural-looking results. Non-surgical treatments often deliver more natural-looking results, enhancing existing features rather than drastically altering the face.
- Flexibility and versatility. Some non-surgical treatments can be customized to target specific areas of the face or body, providing a versatile approach to skin tightening.
Scheduling Your Initial Consultation for Skin Tightening Procedures for Face
If you’re looking into a non-surgical face tightening treatment, the best way to determine if it’s the right choice is to schedule an initial consultation with our practice, Seamless Skin MD. We will assess your skin health and discuss your skin goals. We’ll also provide detailed information on available treatment options based on your skin type, skin condition, etc., and develop a personalized treatment plan tailored to your needs.